Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Official Hand-Off

Today, Class 77 has been officially handed over from D Co. 101st FSB to 1st Bn 16th Infantry. My team (ULN 10507) will now officially belong to D. Co 1/16th INF. Will be known as Team Kilo. So now the guys are joking about how to create a nickname that has both Kilo and Griffin in it.

I can hardly wait to see !!!

Tomorrow we will have some classes on the Rule of Law, the ROE and other legal matters. Then we will be released for a 4-day weekend.

7 July we'll start our cultural training. It will be another long 4-day weekend for me. The last 4-day weekend I had here (the Army's Birthday), I tried to log onto the Army's e-learning website only to find out that the computer's here at Camp Funston don't have the required "adobe player" and speech software to work. After bringing this to the attention of S-6 and commander, it still hasn't been fixed. The same problem exists. I'm being told the network is controlled via contract, and they haven't figured out how to get the contractors down here to fix the problem.

It's appalling to me, given how important "language" is to this mission, that this problem can not be fixed in a matter of minutes. All it takes is "admin rights permission" to downlaod the right software. This is crazy !!!

So, yet another 4-day weekend, where I could have put it to good use learning Arabic, I won't be able to. I suppose this would be ok if I were among the first classes coming through this place. But I'm class 77 !!! Hopefully they can get this right at JRTC. (that's where the next set of MiTTs will be trained).

Everyone is ready for this 4-day holiday to blow off some steam. I think we all anxious to start training and getting prepared for the MiTT mission ahead of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment